BE YOUR OWN BOSS
Starting your own sole-trader or small business is an exciting time. When you’ve got specific skills and services that people want to pay for, being your own boss can give you a lot of flexibility. Read on for a list of small business ideas you can start from home.
Small business is booming in Australia
In Australia, a small business is defined as having 0 to 19 employees or a turnover of under $2 million. Here are a few facts that illustrate the opportunities for enterprising Australians:
- More than half of the 2 million small businesses in Australia are sole-trader businesses.
- Small businesses contribute more than 33 percent of total industry value added to the economy each year.
- 83 percent of small businesses in Australia provide a service.
- Women own or manage about 34 percent of small businesses.
That’s a lot of people who have created their own business selling their skills, services and products. Are you going to be one of the next people to start a business?
If you have a skill, you don’t need a ton of money to start your own business. All that’s needed for these nine small business ideas is a strong work ethic, access to a computer and a good Internet connection. Communication skills are a major plus.
9 small business ideas you can start today
Tired of your job? Start one of these service-based home businesses in Australia.
- Virtual assistant, transcriptionist, data entry clerk.
- Bookkeeper, accountant.
- Writer, editor.
- Social media manager.
- Marketing specialist.
- Graphic designer.
- Web developer.
- App developer.
- Online tutor.
If you’re lucky enough to have one of these nine skills, your prospects are better than you think.
REF: EXCERPT – Nine Small Business ideas you can start at home by Zoe Heard